Monday, March 16, 2009

What driveway?

Well, Spring is in the air....*Happy Sigh* The air smells so clean and refreshing, the fields are starting to poke through (meaning Lanny will be getting antsy-pantsy to start farming again), and I have three new calves to take care of. I love this time of year. It's a time of birth and rebirth, a fresh start for everything. It's wonderful! I am even enjoying calf chores, for the moment. There's only three little ones-two bull calves and the daintiest, darlingest, prettiest heifer calf you've ever seen. She is this soft brown color, so itty-bitty compared to the bull calves, and just looks like a "Daisy" to me. (Well, one of the bull calves is either half-blind or just plain stupid. It wanders everywhere but where the bottle is and bumps into everything!) Yessireebob! Spring is a gorgeous time of year. *UPDATE* That bull calf I mentioned above...Well, I found out it wasn't as stupid as I thought. (The blindness is still debatable.) It had a pretty nasty infection and we ended up having to put it down since it couldn't stand up anymore. Poor calf... Now I feel bad for thinking it was stupid...

Except in reference to our driveway, that is.... *Sad Sigh* Yep, it's time for greasy, tire-spinning trips down a mucky, rutted lake-covered dirt trail. (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating there a bit.) It's the time of year when I sigh as I turn onto the driveway, firmly grip the steering wheel and try to find the right balance of speed and stealth to creep through the pond-like puddles without getting stranded in the middle or hung up on a hidden rut. It takes a certain skill to navigate a dirt driveway in springtime and I applaud any of you who do so.

2 comments:

Lois said...

Reading this makes me miss having little calves :( As for the dirt driveway... I always thought that was the best part of spring... it's like you get to go mudding every single time you come home. And leave. I don't know if it gets any better than that. (in case you can't tell I'm a fan of mudding :P)

Anna said...

Jill! Hi! I just found you! What fun:) Dirt roads, muddy driveways and yards...at least it means spring's on the way (and it makes for two happy kids)