Tuesday, March 24, 2009

If you see my voice, send it back this way...

I discovered something strange about myself today. Well, actually Lanny discovered it but that's besides the point.... What's so funny about me is that I like to hear myself talk when my voice is disappearing. For some odd reason, my voice has been slowly losing itself as the week has gone by and this morning was no different. It's this oddly nasal combination of gravel and rusty saw blades with just a hint of fingernails-on-the-chalkboard just for good measure. Add to this, I whistle the occasional high-C! when I get particularly riled up. As if this isn't enough, I can only make noise if I force an inordinately large amount of air through my voice box. I sound like I am hyperventilating as I speak since I have to breathe every few words. I was complaining earlier about this and Lanny told me I should just stop talking for a while and my voice would come back. I told him that's pointless. It's too easy. I think the reason I like hearing my voice like this is because 1. it sounds so interesting in my head and I can only imagine what it sounds like to the rest of the world, 2. it cracks me up because no matter how hard I try to yell, it still comes out as a whisper, and 3. it's so unlike my normal voice, that it's cool. Does this make any sense? Well, it does in my thought process and that's good enough for me.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I think I agree with Lanny: vocal rest and drink lots of water! hope you get your voice back soon:)