Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sloppy, Slushy Days

Is Ol' Man Winter just toying with us or is Spring actually on the way? It is so wonderfully warm outside right now. (Well, it is for this time of year in MN anyway...) I am getting so itchy to be outside and just BREATHE! In fact, I am starting to daydream about my garden this year. Shockingly, I ended up with quite a bit of produce from my weed-laden garden of the past year (see first post and you'll understand why I am so shocked). We are just now eating the last of the potatoes and green beans. I got my seed catalog out and have thumbed through it, daydreaming of rows filled with lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, green peppers, tomatoes, etc. I can't wait to start! Unfortunately, it's still Winter and the ground is still covered in snow. While it's been warming up enough to make me daydream of my dream garden (though not all of that weeding!), it's also been warming up enough to melt the snowbanks lining our driveway and the roads. What a mess! All of that slop and slush and mush... That's the part I don't like about Spring-the thaw.

This warm weather has also got me thinking more about exercising. I can't wait to get out and start walking again! I know, I know... I could be out walking right now, but it's too sloppy to really get moving. You can walk but once you get up to speed, you had better watch your step! I slipped several times this past winter due to slick roads and driveways and would prefer to keep myself upright. Although, I have discovered snowshoeing. Fun, fun, fun! BTW-an update with the whole lifestyle change, it's a work in progress. I have lost some weight (quite a bit in my mind but still got a ways to go...) and am feeling SO much better about myself. Unfortunately, I have found myself slipping back into some bad habits-too much starch and sugar, not enough sleep, not enough exercise. Still, I have noticed many things have changed for the better. I do tend to think more about what I eat, especially when my hubby points out how much I am eating of the bad stuff. The sugar cravings are getting more manageable, especially since I get so sick from eating the stuff. Exercise has become fun! What a surprise to find out how good I can feel after a workout! If I keep myself in a routine, I find it easier to work working out into my day's schedule. Unfortunately for me, if I skip too many days, I get out of that routine and BAM! I am back to couch-potatoe status. Grrrr.... Got to work on it but no one said that this would be easy.

No comments: