Monday, February 16, 2009

Do you believe in dreams?

Do you believe in dreams? I am not sure how much stock I put in dreams but here's one dream that definitly left an impression. I was sitting on a bench in this garden maze (you know, the kind with high hedge walls?) on a sunny summer day. Picture perfect. The walls of the maze formed a three sided room around my seat and I am holding a peacefully sleeping baby girl in my arms. She is cradled close, almost smiling and I know that she is my daughter. Suddenly I hear the light giggle of a little girl wafting through the air and look up to see a child of about 5 or 6 run past the entrance to my garden room. She has curly blonde hair and is wearing a frilly white dress. I notice this as she peeks in at me. Then, smiling as calmly as my slumbering child, she walks towards me with arms outstretched. As this girl approaches, she appears to grow before my eyes. She stops in front of me, aged to a young woman of 20 with a laughing smile, and motions for me to hand my baby to her. Cradling the infant, she turns to walk out the way she came. I make no move to stop her, knowing instinctively that my baby is in good hands. Just before she leaves the room, I ask her "What's your name?" With a wide grin, she answers, "Jodi" and leaves.

Now what makes this dream so different from the rest of the ones that I have had? One-it happened during a particularly emotional time after my first miscarriage (a baby that I was POSITIVE was a girl), Two-my mother-in-law had a daughter named Jodi who died soon after birth, and Three-While I knew that my m-i-l had a baby who died very young, I didn't know her name was Jodi until I told Lanny about my dream. What do you think? Was this merely my mind finding a way for me to cope with the loss and grief I was feeling over the miscarriage or was it God's way of showing me that my baby was going to be well-cared for in her heavenly home? I believe the latter.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

That just gave me the chills, but what a beautiful, peaceful dream! I'd believe that latter as well!

Pete/Heidi said...

I believe the latter as well -- your dream was beautiful. I often think that dreams are there to help make sense of the things that trouble you in the day. I hope your dreams give you peace in this time of loss. Heidi (Skoog) L'Esperance

Anonymous said...

I believe in the latter. I believe that God was showing you that your "baby" is safe in Jesus' care and he will protect 'her'. Jodi is a guardian angel and will watch over 'her' till you reach Heaven. Billy had a brother named Ben who also died at a young age (2) and he is watching over us. I believe he is in Heaven and is our kids' guardian angel.

Anna said...

Wow. I had a miscarriage last fall, and now whenever I think of that little baby (who I think was a boy) I see him as a little bundle in my Grandpa's arms. Grandpa has a peaceful smile on his face, and I know he's in good hands until I get to see him someday. Such a vision is so comforting.