Friday, May 29, 2009

Why I Love Thunderstorms...

Actually, I don't really like them all that much, personally. I'm not afraid of thunder though. There's something about the lightening that I just don't care for. I am getting better and don't quite have that 'hide your head under the covers' feeling anymore and can actually admire the beauty of a bolt of lightning as it zips from the clouds, but I still don't have to like them.

However, as a farmer's wife, I understand the necessity of thunderstorms. Ever notice why the leaves and the grass always look so much greener after a thunderstorm? They are getting a big boost of nitrogen, that's why. When the lightning burns the air, it is adding nitrogen to the air which is really good for plant growth.

The other thing I like about thunderstorms is the water. Everything smells so fresh and clean after a rainstorm. It also means I have to water my garden that much less. While I may not like thunderstorms, anything that gets me out of hauling bucket after bucket of water to my 45 foot long garden is okay with me.

1 comment:

Lori said...

i love the smell of rain too! and thanks for the tidbit about the nitrogen....i did not know that:)