Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Growing Pains

I wish my garden grew faster than the weeds. I was out there checking on the soil (hoping to plant potatoes today) but it was a bit too wet. I did notice, however, that bunches of clover and a renegade blade of grass here or there were already trying to sneak out of the soil. That clover is the worst. I know the cows like it and there is something magical about finding a four-leaf clover (I once found a five-leaf clover out in the pasture. Honestly!) but it's impossible to get rid of! Clover, picker plants, and pig weed are my gardening nightmares. All have extensive root systems that rival gopher and ant tunnels. All are invasive weeds that take over a garden at a moment's notice. And, two of those weeds are covered in the sharpest dagger-pointed sticker seeds possible. They are like spies-they sneak their way into the garden and hide until you least expect them to pop up. I can't count the number of times I have reached for a cucumber or carrot and grabbed a picker plant by mistake or found a clump of clover bullying my pitiful plants into submission. Hopefully, I will be able to keep my garden growing more than just weeds and rocks this year. I have good intentions so we'll see if I actually live up to my expectations.

No comments: