Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Final Update from Up North

Well, my week vacation is nearly over and done. It went by way too quickly for my tastes but I had a ton of fun! So here's a recap of my weeks events.

-Visited with all of the family in AK. Sis T, hubby B, kids B, K, A. Sis A, hubby T, son O. Sis R. It was so fun to see everyone!

-Got regular updates on the Iditarod. It's cool how much of a following the race has. I would love to be up here for the start of it sometime.

-X-country skiied on Hatcher Pass, L lost his checkbook (luckily an honest person found it), and got some really awesome pictures of the scenery up there. L is currently heading out for some downhill skiing up that way with B. Hope they have fun!

-Toured Palmer and drove up the glacier. It was a very pretty drive and the glacier was gorgeous. Chilly to stand outside but I got some cool pictures anyway.

-Drove down to Homer for a night. We visited P and his family. P captains his own charter fishing boat but blew out his knee so he couldn't take us out on the water. He was able to line up a charter with his neighbor and buddy R, though, so a few of us went fishing Sunday morning. It was my first time fishing for King Salmon and despite only getting one salmon the whole day, the trip was well worth it. I only caught ones that went back in the water, but at least I caught something! I can't wait to go again!

-Enjoyed a yummy breakfast at A's house. She's a wiz in the kitchen and whipped out crepes, waffles, and scrambled eggs. I was stuffed! Wish I could cook like that. Maybe she'll give me lessons sometime...

-Packing up to leave now. As sad as it is, we fly out tomorrow AM. This week went by way to quickly and it'll be hard to leave this beautiful place. I am all the more determined to come back up here sometime. We had great company, tons of yummy food (salmon pizza anyone?), took tons of pictures, enjoyed a few dates without V, had new experiences, and toured a small portion of this amazing state. Still, even though it's hard to leave, I'm glad to be heading back to MN too. It's home-family, cows, farm, chores, and all.

So, Goodbye Alaska. It was fun to visit and someday we'll be back.

But, Hello Minnesota. It'll be great to be home.

1 comment:

Pietila Family said...

It was so fun to have you guys up here. After you left, it seemed a little odd not having Vern cruising around. It was fun watching him and Allie interact. Again - so glad you came! Oh, and that snow Lanny was hoping for came on Thursday. Six fluffy inches. But it's been warm ever since so it won't last long.