Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Leaves falling like tears

Last week, a friend of mine S passed away rather unexpectedly.  She had been diagnosed with cancer a year ago but appeared to be pulling through despite seemingly insurmountable odds.  Then, last week, she was gone.  Just like that.  Her passing leaves a very large hole in her family and her community. Many of us have been touched by her generosity, thoughtfulness, and kindness more than once and it's hard to think that this person who is/was so dear to so many isn't here. And while I'm so very sad at her passing (as many are), I'm also happy because as one wise person put it, "Her battle is done."

I've been thinking how, no matter how difficult it seems the last few weeks have been for myself, nothing can compare to what S went thru in the last year.   I've had my days of 'what ifs' and 'why mes', but when placing my troubles next to what S must have experienced, mine are the lesser. And I've been reminded of some pretty strong truths.

~Live life to it's fullest and as if every day were the last for you never know when your time will come.

~To count my blessings and celebrate even the smallest moments.

~Putting others first is so much more satisfying than putting myself above all others.

~No matter how bad I think things are for myself, there's probably someone whose feeling the same.

~Believe and I mean truly believe in miracles.

~There's immense power in simple, honest words and prayers.

~Most importantly, never to give up on my faith for even if everything else is gone, my faith will still remain.  

And I've been thinking alot about S this week as it's Autumn and even the trees seem to crying at our loss as their leaves fall earthward like the so many tears that have fallen. Nature is slowing down and life is going dormant in preparation for the long Winter's rest so it's fitting in a way that S went to her peaceful rest at this time of year. But, while things are easing into their restful winter slumbers, there's that one last brilliant splash of color as the leaves change to their Fall coats.  And that's S to a tee-vibrant, colorful, and full of joy. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She will truly live on through our memories and hearts!

Jan said...

Agree. I have thought the same about the leaves, and the rain we were having last weekend.