Monday, September 28, 2009

Things I Learned This Summer

-It's a pretty good sign you are having a bad day when the bull runs through a three-wire electric fence to get away from you. I've been shocked by that fence he escaped through and it left a mark on my arm that tingled for two hours and lasted four days.

-Doing a blood draw on a cow means lots of bellowing, lots of stepping around, lots of 'oops', and LOTS of poops. *Sigh* The things you do to find out if a cow is prego or not...

-I never thought I would be happy to discuss breeding rates but they now rank up there with somatic cell counts, calf treatments, and causes of hoof rot. Now I am getting interested in field paperwork.

-I am perfectly capable of cleaning out a clogged drainage line even if it's my fourth time cleaning it out in one day. I might be pretty annoyed at that point, but I can still do it.

-I can't grow corn. Last year, I planted it too deep and harvested the few puny stalks WAY too late. I couldn't even freeze it because it was SO overripe! This year, I planted it too shallow and picked it too soon. Maybe next year I'll finally get it right...

-Puppies are cute but I am SO glad we don't have any anymore. (Thanks to everyone who took one!)

-Farming is becoming the only thing I can talk about. (Notice how most of my 'lessons' have to do with the farm...)

-I enjoy being a farmer's wife but I'll leave the tractor driving to my husband.

No comments: