Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Underneath the layers

I've got layers. Like an onion. Only thing is I don't make your eyes burn.

But I'm not being theoretical here. No emotionally touching, soul searching post here.

Nah. I'm speaking literally.

I'm referring to layers of clothing. Chore clothes to be exact.
 
As many of you know (or perhaps you don't? But if you don't, you do now...Anyway, I digress.), we move our cows from our summer pasture and open walled barn to our winter freestall barn and enclosed milking facility every October.

As a side note, this day has coincidentally happened on our wedding anniversary about 4 times in the last 8 years. As an extra side note, this was not one of those years. I'm digressing again.

Back to moving cows. So we move our cows to the summer farm in mid-May and back to the winter barn in mid-October because it's just what works for us. We've got irrigated pasture for the cows to nosh on all summer long but as with most everything else, the pasture goes into hibernation once Autumn arrives and our summer barn isn't very winter-usable. It's pretty much a pole barn with curtains for walls on three sides so it's not quite so fun milking in there when we've got your usual Fall weather. Our winter barn has a fully enclosed milking facility so to go from an open room with curtains on three sides (and thus a teeny bit more exposed to wind, rain, cold, and the general chilly October weather-of which we've had surprisingly little this month so I'm not complaining.) to a smaller enclosed room without wind, cold, rain, or the general chilly October weather (see above comment in parantheses) means the temperature inside said room goes up a few degrees. I've found that moving from the summer barn to the winter barn corresponds with a loss of at least one layer of clothing. Long johns and wool socks go back in the Winter Clothing Drawer for a few more weeks. No more frozen fingers, frozen hoses, or frozen noses til hopefully January. Or later. I won't complain about not having to deal with any of those at all really.

Yes, there will come a day (and likely sooner than any of us would prefer) when I'll want my layers back but for now, I'll enjoy my chores a little bit lighter.

No comments: