Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hungry Calves

Maaaaa! Bellering babies want to be fed and they let me know especially loudly once they see me coming weighted down with buckets of milk. They jostle and nudge each other in a constant attempt to be the first one fed, the one who is lucky enough slurp down the first gulp of moo juice. My multi-colored 'bebbies' are always eager for some attention, especially if that attention comes at mealtime and I'm carrying a five gallon bucket. Head butting, scampering, yelling their hunger-pretty much they sound like kids at suppertime.

As I dump their milk into their feeders, I see reds, browns, whites, blacks, and the odd grey. Our multi-colored calves are the result of cross-breeding and I love our 'rainbow' herd. We have big calves and little calves, hyperactive calves and calm calves, sneaky calves and silly calves. But no matter the coloring, the size, or the temperament, they are all the same at feeding time. HUNGRY.

No comments: