Thursday, May 29, 2014

Gardening and My not-so-green thumb

This year, due to pretty obvious reasons (not the least of which is this belly o' mine), I'm unable to plant my garden.  Yet, I'm committed to raising healthy, nutritious food for my family and, despite my lack of success in the green thumb department, I honestly do like gardening. I just don't like the aching back, the dirt under my fingernails, the daily weeding and watering, etc.

Okay, so I don't like doing much of the hard work of gardening but I do enjoy the harvesting so I make it work.  I just can't overcome my tendency to over-water or under-water (or in some cases, both), or my habit of killing any living plant I'm actually trying to nurture.  (Weeds, I have great luck with. If I don't want it there, I can almost guarantee it'll absolutely THRIVE. If I want it to grow nice and big and tend it 8 times a day, it'll be dead in a week.)

But this year it'll be different. You see, I'm slightly restricted at the moment on what I can do gardening-wise but I have all these seeds just waiting to be put in the ground and all this NEED to garden.  So I did the next best thing...

I hired help.

I've got a soil prepper/seed planter coming tomorrow, the hubby is planting my sweet corn seed in the field as I type, and I've got more help lined up come weeding/mulching/early harvest time. 

I'm strictly managerial this time and we'll see how it goes.  I wish that it could be me digging in the dirt and planting those seeds and tending them because it makes the harvest that much sweeter when you know YOU did all that work but I physically can't do it.

But it might save my garden if I don't touch anything so that's got to be a plus, right?

No comments: