Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ever seen a black turtle?

Bean, that is.

Last year, we experimented with growing edible black turtle beans and the results were decent enough to convince the guys we should do it again this year.  Since we had a dearth of black beans on hand, I managed to get a few gallon bags of dried beans for our own personal use.

And never seemed to get around to using them.

So now I am.

In an effort to better our eating habits, use what foods we have readily available (and conversely lower the grocery bill), and free up the counter space that currently houses a large tupperware container of black beans, I'm cooking black beans.

On the menu thus far are black bean burgers, baked black beans with ham, black bean chili, and black bean burritos.  I've even peeked at a few black bean brownie and cake recipes.  I have a feeling we will be eating ALOT of black beans in the near future.  We'll be a rootin', tootin' black bean-eating bunch.

And if not, then at least I'll have liberated another chunk of countertop...

No comments: