Friday, October 10, 2008

Day 3

Well, it's Day 3 of Detox Week and so far I am surviving. But I REALLY REALLY want a brownie... All day I have been craving one. A nice big, ooey-gooey, fudgy, chunk of brownie fresh from the oven and smothered with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate sauce. Grrr.... I want that brownie.

Do I really want it though? Or do I just think I want it? I keep telling myself that I don't need that brownie to survive and that my broccoli tastes just fine even though my 'fat' side is telling me "Oh, yeah right...Like that's gonna work on me." This is the joy in being an emotional eater. Part of my diet plan, and most especially part of the reason for this week of detox dieting, is to learn to stay away from the comfort foods when I need comfort. I have to learn not to eat because I am emotionally dependent on food. I know that eventually I will get that brownie, only it will not be as big of a piece as I am currently dreaming of nor will it be covered with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream. That is the other part of my diet plan-learning moderation. One thing that I have learned in the past is that I need to fulfill that craving (albeit to a lesser degree) when it first hits or else I simply crave that item even more. Though I will have to put off this brownie craving for a bit longer, and I know that the craving may get far worse before it gets better, I am going to do it. I can't say that I will simply try to do it because then I set myself up for cheating. It's like I am giving myself a loophole and can later say, "Well, it's not like I didn't try. I really did try to keep away from that brownie but I have no willpower." If I state outloud that I am absolutely NOT going to make those brownies nor will I eat one, it reaffirms my decision to change my body, my health, and my life and I am more likely to follow that. If I say that I won't eat a brownie, then there isn't any wiggle room for me to use to convince myself that I really did try to stay away from the goodies. Simply writing it down in this post has helped me see that I want that brownie simply because it is something yummily unhealthy for me and tastes a heckuva lot better that the protein shakes I am drinking. So, even though I am still craving that darn brownie, I will hold off a bit longer. After all, I only have 4 more days of Detox Week to get through, right?

No comments: